If you are looking to gain a clergy reference to support your application for a foundation place at one our local church c(St Bede’s, Trinity Oaks, Reigate Parish) we hope that the following will help give you all the information you need. If it doesn’t and you have some specific questions, do please contact email@example.com who will be really happy to help.
We know that finding the right school for our children is a massive thing for every parent and we want to help you in your applications as much as we can. We also want to be completely fair and transparent in our dealings with everyone who comes to us seeking a reference and so have a very clear way of helping parents mark their attendance on Sundays. The local church schools are popular and they give foundation places to children of parents who regulalry attend church over a considerable length of time, and this is the key criteria against which we give references.
The requirements from the Schools are as follows:
Reigate Parish Church Primary School
Regularly attend worship (Sunday services or Tots Praise) by one parent for a period of 18 months prior to the published closing date for applications in January 2020. Regular is defined as at least twice per month.
Trinity Oaks Primary School
Regularly attend worship (Sunday services) by one parent for a period of at least one year prior to the published closing date for applications in January 2020. Regular is defined as at least fornightly.
St Bede’s Secondary School
Regularly attend worship (Sunday services) by one parent for a period of at least 3 years prior to the published closing date for applications in October 2019. Regular is defined as at least fortnightly.
How we confirm you attendance
In a church as large as St Mary’s, and because we want to be completely fair in our resposnse to parents we need to rely on technology to help us pull together supporting evidence for school reference requests. We look for evidence to support your membership of St Mary’s and your church attendance by using the following criteria to help us:
- Children’s attendance.
If your child/ren are signed into a group on Sunday we will assume that a parent brought them along. For safeguarding purposes we keep registers for all groups on Sunday as well as Tot’s Praise.
- Parents’ attendance
If you come on your own without your children on Sunday, we encourage you to sign up in the book at the back of church at the end of the service. This helps us not to miss you.
It also helps us in our reference if:
- You are on St Mary’s Electoral roll.
- You are on our database ChurchSuite + the date you were added.
- You have personalised your ChurchSuite page with a photograph of yourself – this helps us to know who you are.
- You serve regularly on church rotas.
- You have attended church courses (for example Parenting for Faith) or are part of a mid-week life group.
All this data is used to help us to make a fair judgement on whether you meet the criteria.
Dos and Don’ts
- Do make sure that if you are attending church services but your child is not attending any of our groups that you sign the diary at the back of church to record your attendance at each service. Speak to a member of the Welcome Team about this.
- Do make sure you are attending church services on Sunday. Attending other groups is good but does not count as church attendance for the purpose of the reference. (Tot’s Praise does count as a service for Reigate Parish Church Primary School applications).
- Do make sure you are attending church for the dates required for the child you are applying for at the point of application. Historic attendance/previous church support for an older sibling will not count when assessing a new reference request.
- Please do not contact the Vicar or any member of the staff team directly; we will contact you should we have any queries concerning your eligibilty for a reference.
Key Dates St Bede’s
5/9/19 – we will email all perents of children in year 6
8/9/19 and 15/9/19 – we will publish details in Pew News and on our website how to apply for a reference
6/10/19 – deadline to request a clergy reference from St Mary’s
14/10/19 – we will let you know if we can support your application
November 2019 – St Bede’s send us a list of who has applied from St Mary’s and these are signed off by the Vicar.
Key Dates Reigate Parish and Trinity Oaks
29/10/19 – we will email all parents of children aged 3-4 years (birth dates from 1/9/15-31/8/16
3/11/19 and 10/11/19 – we will publish details in Pew News and on our website how to apply for a reference
8/12/19 – deadline to request a clergy reference from St Mary’s
2/12/19 – we will let you know if we can support your application
February 2020 – Reigate Parish / Trinity Oaks send us a list of who has applied from St Mary’s and these are signed off by the Vicar.